A classical North Indian or Punjabi curry made with paneer ( cottage cheese)!!
Paneer based curries are one of the popular choices for both vegetarian and non- vegetarian eaters in India. We can make many kinds of variety in dish( spicy, dry, creamy) using paneer.
This Shahi Paneer is an easy, simple, rich cream based gravy known for the less spice and the light orange colour. If you want white gravy then skip the red chilli powder and increase the green chilli for the spice.
Shahi means Royal and it was introduced to us by the Mughals. I have used onion, tomato, yogurt, milk and cashews along with almonds to get the rich creamy sauce. I have used almonds along with cashews to reduce the amount of cashew intake. If you would prefer to use only cashews, you can go ahead. Any kind of nuts too can be used.
If you have saffron, you can use it finally to garnish along with coriander leaves.
This cream based sauce gravy goes well with rice, roti, naan etc….
- Paneer( cottage cheese)- 250 gms
- Onion- 1 ( chopped)
- Tomato – 2 (chopped)
- Ginger- 1/2 inch ( sliced)
- Green chilli- 2
- Yogurt- 1/4th cup ( not sour)
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom powder- 1/4th tsp ( 2 full green cardamom can be used)
- Cashews- 1/4th cup
- Almonds- 1/4th cup
- Salt – as needed
- Coriander leaves- as needed
- Saffron ( optional)
- Fresh cream – 1 tbsp ( optional)
Take yogurt or curd( not sour) in a bowl and beat it with a whisk or fork.
- Beat the yogurt or curd well before adding. When adding it for cooking, lower the flame.
- If using curd, it should not be sour.