Aloo Matar is a simple Punjabi side dish made from potatoes and peas which is cooked in a onion, tomato gravy along with other spices.
Aloo matar is one among the Indian comfort foods which is liked mostly by everyone. Even fussy eater’s and children would like this dish. My kids love this!! ‘Aloo’ is potato and ‘Matar’ is peas. Both fresh peas and frozen one’s can be used.
This recipe is very simple to make and you will never go wrong in this. Fresher’s too can follow this recipe easily and it is made in simple, easy steps!!
I have boiled potatoes slightly above three-fourth and used in this recipe though it can be pressure cooked along with peas in onion, tomato gravy. Both fresh tomatoes which is chopped finely or tomato puree can be used.
Aloo Matar goes well with chapati, naan, roti, jeera rice etc.., Let’s check this easy-to-make and mostly liked aloo matar recipe❤
1 cup= 200 ml.
- Potato- 3, medium sized
- Peas ( fresh/ frozen)- 1 cup
- Onion- 1, medium sized ( finely chopped, 1 cup)
- Tomato- 2, medium sized ( finely chopped, 1 cup)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Green chilli- 1 ( slit, lengthwise)
- Red chilli powder with coriander powder mix- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- Amchur powder/ Dry Mango powder- 1/2 tsp
- Kasoori Methi ( crushed) – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick- 1 inch
- Cloves- 3
- Cardamom pods- 2
- Bay leaf- 1 large or 2, small
- Cumin seeds- 3/4th tsp
- Salt- as needed
- Coriander leaves- 3 tbsp ( finely chopped).
Boil the potatoes slightly above three-fourth.
- Use good quality garam masala for better taste.
- If you do not want to use garam masala, you can use half tsp of fennel seeds powder in it’s place which also gives good taste and flavor to the gravy.
- Adjust the water consistency according to the gravy type ( dry, semi- dry or gravy type) required.