Lemon rice 🍋 is one of the most popular and traditional rice recipe from South India. It is the most commonly made recipe. It is also called as ‘Chitranna’.
The flavor from the fresh lemon along with the aroma of ginger and other spices used together with the yellow color from turmeric makes this dish unique and flavorful!!
It is a very popular travel recipe in India because it can be cooked fast and it stays fresh without spoiling for a long time. Not only in India, wherever Indians are, we use this as the best travel recipe. It is also served as ‘prasadham’ in temple.
The rice used in this recipe can be prepared at that time or pre-cooked, left over rice can be used. The rice grains should not be starchy after cooked and they should be separate.
This lemon rice 🍋 tastes good along with chutney especially coconut chutney, papad, egg masala, pepper chicken, potato fry ( best one), pakoda etc.., I like to taste it with sambhar. This combination too works well.
1 cup= 220 ml.
- Uncooked Rice- 1 and a half cup
- Lemon/ lime- 2
- Chana dal- 1 tbsp
- Peanuts- 3 tbsp
- Ginger- 1/2 inch ( finely chopped)
- Green Chilli- 1 ( finely chopped)
- Red chilli- 1 ( 1 more can be used)
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp ( little bit more can be used if you would prefer)
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Asafoedita powder- 1/4th tsp
- Salt- as needed
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves- 3 tbsp ( finely chopped)
- Use sesame oil or peanut oil for good taste.
- Any variety of rice can be used to prepare this recipe but short grain rice is the best for this recipe.
- Use fresh lemon/lime juice for good taste. The quantity of lemon juice can be increased or decreased according to your preference. The mentioned above quantity is good.