Paruppu Usili is a traditional dish in Tamilnadu among the Brahmin Community. Today let us see about Beans paruppu usili. Any festivals or auspicious occasions like marriages, any function or a family dinner, beans paruppu usili is one of the main item in their menu.
Beans paruppu usili is nothing but steamed crumbled lentils cooked along with beans tempered with mustard seeds.
I tasted this dish in two of my brahmin friend’s house after marriage in South Africa.They make this dish very well. The main reason behind me learning this dish is my husband because he likes this dish a lot and whenever we go to their house for dinner, beans paruppu usili will be in the menu. So I learnt this from my friends.
This dish is highly rich in protein. The aroma when roasting chana dal and the taste of combined dal with beans will make you cook this again and again.
This goes well with rice and rasam, rice and sambar, rice and mor kuzhambhu, rice and vathakuzhambhu too.. Please go through the step by step process.
- Chana dal- 1 cup
- Green beans- 1 and one fourth cup( finely chopped)
- Red chilli- 4
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
- Asafoedita powder- 1/4th tsp
- Curry leaves- 15
- Salt- as needed.
Clean and soak chana dal in water for two hours and drain the water out.
- Use sesame oil for good taste.
- 1 cup of chana dal can be substituted by half cup of chana dal and half cup of toor dal too and follow the same process.
- Grind the dal in a mixer without adding water.