Bottle gourd is a vegetable in squash family which is known as “soraikkai” in tamil, “lauki” or “dhoodhi” in hindi and “choraka” in malayalam.
Bottle gourd has high water content making it easy for digestion and it is also a low calorie vegetable, helping in weight loss. It is rich in fiber, iron, other nutrients and protein.
It is used a lot in Indian cooking. My mother makes many dishes using bottle gourd. Both sweet and savory recipes can be made out of it.
The recipe I have shared today is a tasty, simple and mild pulao recipe made out of bottlegourd and some green peas which goes well with a spicy side dish.
This recipe will be liked by everyone in family and it is a best dish to make when you are in hurry and looking for new recipes out of bottle gourd😊
Let us check the recipe now❤
1 cup= 200 ml.
- Bottlegourd/ soraikkai/ lauki- 2 and a half cups (heaped)
- Green peas- 3/4th cup
- Basmati rice- 2 cups
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Green chilli – 3 ( slit lengthwise)
- Onion- 1 medium sized ( finely chopped, lengthwise)
- Mint leaves- handful
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Bay leaf- 1
- Cinnamon stick- 1 inch
- Cloves- 3
- Cardamom pods- 2
- Salt- as needed
- Coriander leaves- handful.
Clean the bottle gourd well, peel the skin, cut it lengthwise and discard the seeds inside.
Cut it into slightly bigger pieces.
- This pulao can be cooked in a normal vessel too by covering it with a lid on top. When cooking in this method, add more half cup of water to cook rice. Open the lid and check if the water added is enough now and then.