Chicken broth is nothing but a flavorful water in which chicken, vegetables, herbs are cooked in low flame for atleast 2 hours.
Rich in chicken flavor, this chicken broth is seasoned with herbs. Along with herbs, I have used the vegetables like onion, carrot, celery, garlic which will add good aroma to the broth.
This liquid is very healthy. It can be used in casseroles, soup, pasta and also in rice recipes that call for it. The water is itself very healthy and it can be stored in refrigerator for upto 5 days.
Since I have used chicken with skin on it, after storing it in refrigerator, you will find a layer of fat floating on top which can be removed before using it. Using chicken with bones gives good result.
The chicken used in this recipe can be saved for anyother use later.
Now the recipe….
- Chicken with bones- 500 gms.
- Onion- 1 medium ( quartered)
- Carrot- 2 medium ( cut into chunks)
- Celery- 1 rib ( cut into chunks)
- Water- 1 and a half litre
- Bay leaves- 2
- Garlic- 2 cloves
- Parsley leaves- handful
- Dried rosemary- 1/4th tsp
- Dried basil- 1/4th tsp
- Dried Oregano- 1/4th tsp
- Peppercorns- 8
- Salt- as needed.
- The main reason behind using the herbs is to bring aroma to the liquid. In that case, 1 tbsp of mixed italian herbs can be used to substitute the herbs individually.
- Coriander leaves, mint leaves can also be used.