Chicken Ghee Roast is a classical, popular chicken recipe which originated from a small town near to Mangalore.
Chicken ghee roast has a fiery red color with tangy, spicy taste along with rich aroma from ghee. This recipe is going to leave you drooling for sure when reading it.
Not only when reading, make it once at home, you will be asked to make it many times and it is a finger-licking dish!! Do not go skimp when using ghee. It is the ghee which makes this dish rich by it’s aroma.
All the spices used in this recipe are quite simple and easily available in kitchen. The spices are dry roasted, grinded to fine powder and the chicken is marinated with spices, yogurt, lemon juice, tamarind for 1 to 2 hours. It is then cooked in ghee.
This recipe goes well with rice, aapam, neer dosa, chapati, naan, roti, paratha etc…,❤
1 cup- 200 ml.
- Chicken( with bones) – 600 gms.
- Onion- 1 cup ( finely chopped)
- Ghee- 4 to 5 tbsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Jaggery- little.
- Red chillies- 6 big ( 2 more can be used for extra spice)
- Coriander seeds- 1 tbsp full
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp full
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp full
- Peppercorns- 1 tsp full
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Tamarind- very small piece
- Lemon juice- from half lemon
- Yogurt- 1/2 cup ( 100 ml.)
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
- Salt- as needed.
Clean the chicken well and make it into medium or large size pieces.
- Use yogurt.
- Use Kashmiri red chillies for bright red color. 5 big red chillies and 2 kashmiri red chillies can be used.
- Two more red chillies can be used if you want a very good heat. The measurement mentioned above in the ingredients is very accurate.