Upma is a traditional breakfast recipe in South India. A vegan breakfast dish which is quick and easy to make.
I can remember my Mumbai days long back. Those days, I used to make upma atleast twice a week for breakfast. Mostly my neighbour next door used to give many tips in making upma. She is also Tamilian. So learning from her was easy for me.
My neighbour tells me always,” don’t forget to boil the water high before adding rava”, “roast the rava well till it is dry and crisp before adding to the water”, “do not roast in high flame, keep the flame in medium always”.
Rava, the main ingredient for making upma is called as suji in hindi. Rava upma is a very popular breakfast recipe in most of the restaurants.
It is served with coconut chutney, pickle or it tastes good alone too with a cup of coffee or tea. Normally, I would like to eat it with grated coconut and sugar.
- Rava ( suji)- 3/4th cup
- Onions- 1 medium sized ( finely chopped)
- Chana dal- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Ginger- 1/2 inch ( finely chopped)
- Green chilli- 1 big ( finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves- 8 to 10
- Cashews- 6 to 8
- Asafoedita powder- 1/4th tsp
- Mustard seeds- 3/4th tsp
- Coriander leaves- little
- Salt- as needed.
- For 1 cup of rava, add 2.5 cups of water.
- Rava should be roasted well first.
- Water should be made to rolling boil before adding rava.