Coconut milk rice is a simple one-pot recipe in which the rice is cooked in coconut milk and aromatic spices. The aroma of this dish is simply exceptional!! It is very popular in South India.
I should mention something here- this is the first and only dish I learnt to prepare after my engagement because my husband likes coconut milk rice. We had fun when my cousin along with my mother and other relations taught this recipe to me.
After marriage, when I went to my Leela athai’s (maternity uncle’s wife) house for treat, she made this dish along with mutton curry . It tasted awesome!! I asked her the recipe immediately. This is my aunt’s recipe and I make it her way!!
This coconut milk rice goes well with any raita and gravy, specially with chicken curry, mutton curry, veg kurma and egg curry.
To check the recipe video, click the link below:
Let us see the recipe of this mouth-watering and aromatic dish.
1 cup= 200 ml.
- Basmati rice- 1 and a half cup ( 300 ml.)
- Onion- 2 medium sized ( finely sliced lengthwise)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk- 2 and a half cups (1/4th cup can be added more which is 2 and three-fourth totally)
- Green chillies- 3( slit lengthwise)
- Cashews- 10
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Bay leaves- 2
- Cardamom pods-2
- Cinnamon- 1
- Cloves- 5
- Star aniseed- 1
- Coriander leaves- handful ( chopped finely)
- Salt- as needed.
Wash the basmati rice and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
Make the coconut milk with half coconut. Add required water and blend the chopped coconut pieces. Filter to extract 2 and a half cups ( 1/4th cup can be added more) of coconut milk by mixing enough water. You can make it as thick coconut milk and then thin one’s too. Thin coconut milk is the second extract.
Store bought canned coconut milk too can be used. If using it, dilute with needed water.
- Homemade coconut milk tastes best for this dish than the store bought one.
- It can be prepared in the vessel too. Then cover it from top and sprinkle little water if rice is under cooked.