Dal Palak or Spinach Dal is a simple, delicious Indian dish made with lentils, spinach and seasoned with aromatic spices.
Dal Palak is made throughout India with slight differences in different regions. The recipe I have shared today is the North Indian style of making it.
Dal Palak or Spinach Dal is famous in most of the birthday parties I have gone. If I had to explain about this in simple words- dal palak keeps your both tummy and soul full!! Even kids will eat it without any problem.
Though dal palak can be made with toor dal or moong dal, I like to use moong dal as it enriches the taste to the recipe. You can always take half of both. I have soaked moong dal in water for 20 minutes.
This recipe is very delicious and aromatic that everyone in your family will ask to make it again and again. I have shown the way to make it more aromatic. I learnt it from my friend.
Red chilli powder and a pinch of turmeric powder added to the tadka gives good color to the gravy. This dal palak goes well with rice, chapathi and roti.
Let us check the recipe of this simple yet nutritious, restaurant-style and delicious dal palak❤
1 cup= 200 ml.
- Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
- Small onion- 10 to 12 ( if using big onion, 1 is fine), finely chopped
- Tomato- 1 medium ( finely chopped)
- Spinach- 3 cups ( finely chopped)
- Green Chilli- 1 or 2 ( finely chopped)
- Ginger- 1/2 tbsp ( finely chopped)
- Garlic- 1 tbsp ( finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Asafoedita powder- 1/4th tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp plus a pinch
- Red chilli- 2
- Lemon juice- 1/2 lemon
- Salt- as needed.
Clean the moong dal well and soak it in water for 20 minutes.
- Use ghee for good taste. Sesame oil too can be used.