Dhokla is a vegetarian culinary dish that is made in the Indian State of Gujarat and also in the areas near to it. Though the original way of making it has fermentation process, the recipe I have shared today is the instant way of making it.
When you have friends from Gujarat, it’s quite normal that you will start loving dhokla, dabheli etc.., Iam one such person who have Gujarati friends and lover of popular Gujarati dishes. Dhoklas are generally soft, fluffy, mildly tangy and sweet at the same time and it is served with green chutney.
The method I have shared today is the instant way of making dhokla from gram flour/besan. Normally dhoklas are made in steamer. Since I didn’t have steamer, I used idli stand to make it since it follows the same process. When I was making it, I got an idea to try with little batter in microwave oven too.
The difference I noticed with the idli stand one and the microwave one is that the microwave one was not as spongy as the idli stand one. The idli stand dhokla’s were so soft and spongy. If you are making it in microwave, you can add half tsp of more eno to the quantity mentioned in the ingredients.
On coming to eno, use blue color eno bottle since it doesn’t have any flavor. I used the orange one as I had it already at home.
Dhokla can be eaten as a breakfast, as a main course, as a snack or as a side dish. It is a healthy dish except for people with diabetics.
Do make and enjoy this easy-to-make instant dhoklas❤
1 cup=200 ml.
For dhokla batter:
- Gram flour/ Besan- 1 and a half cup
- Semolina/ Rava/ Sooji- 1 tbsp
- Ginger chilli paste- paste of 1/2 inch ginger and 1 chilli
- Turmeric powder- 2 to 3 pinch
- Asafoedita powder- 1 to 2 pinch
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Eno- 1/2 tsp
- Sugar- 1 tsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- White sesame seeds- 2 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Green chilli- 3 ( slit lengthwise)
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Asafoedita powder- pinch
- Sugar- 2 tsp
- Salt- 1/4th tsp
- 2 to 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 to 3 tbsp of grated coconut.
- Steamed dhokla’s in idli stand are more spongier than the microwave one’s. You can use 1 tsp of eno to make the microwave dhoklas.
- Use blue color eno bottle.
- Toothpick test should be done.