This South Indian style kothamalli thogayal is very easy to make which is little spicy, tangy with rich aroma and can be prepared in no time.
The ingredients for this recipe are easily available in kitchen. I normally prepare this whenever I need a quick side dish for rice and it tastes yumm!! It can be stored in refrigerator for one or two days as we have used coconut in this recipe.
If you have time and you are ready for a lengthy process, then check my other Kothamalli Thogayal recipe. I have attached the link. This can be stored in refrigerator for upto 10 days.
The key to preserve these chutneys in refrigerator is to use a spoon to take it out whenever needed. See to that the spoon is dry.
I have used a handful of mint leaves. Mint leaves add aroma to the chutney. But if you do not have it, leave it.
I would like to prepare kothamalli chutney now and then as coriander leaves are totally health packed greens. They are very good for digestion, promote liver function, to cure eye disease, to stimulate memory etc..,
This kothamalli chutney is a perfect side dish for rice especially with sambhar rice, rasam rice, curd rice, lemon rice etc.., It also tastes good along with idli, dosa etc..,
- Coriander leaves- 1 bunch
- Mint leaves- handful
- Red chilli- 4
- Grated coconut- 3 tbsp
- Garlic cloves- 2
- Roasted chana dal- 1 tbsp
- Urad dal- 1 tbsp
- Asafoedita powder- pinch
- Tamarind- little
- Salt- as needed
- Jaggery- little ( optional).
- Do not overcook the coriander leaves. Otherwise the chutney color will change.
- A small piece of jaggery can be added finally when grinding. I haven’t added.
- Sesame oil gives good taste.
- If you would like, you can do the tadka with oil, mustard seeds finally and add it to the grinded coarse kothamalli chutney. It’s also optional.