Kathirikai Murungakai Masala is a traditional, flavorful South Indian side dish which tastes perfect when served with rice and curry (specially sambar and rasam). Sometimes it can be mixed with rice and can be had as a vegetable masala rice too.
This is one among the mouth-watering recipes that my mother cooks in vegetarian dishes. We love non- vegetarian food normally but when she makes this side dish, we like it so much that we ask for some more. My kids are in the same way like us!!
Coming to the dish, it is better to use small onion shallots but if you don’t have, use one medium sized onion. This is a semi-dry version. The coconut added to the recipe along with fennel seeds give thickness and nice flavor. This is a semi-dry version.
Make it once at home, definitely you will be asked to make it again and again. A must try mouth-watering recipe❤
Here is the link to the video I made going step by step through the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5bN-mAJ3g
- Small brinjal- 6 or 7 (sliced lengthwise)
- Drumstick- 12 pieces, cut lengthy each
- Small onion shallots- 10 (chopped )
- Tomato- 1 big size(chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves(finely chopped)
- Chilli powder with coriander powder mix- 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
- Asafoedita powder- 1/4th tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/4th tsp
- Split urad dal- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Coconut- 2 pieces (size as shown in picture)
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Salt- as needed
- Coriander leaves- 2 to 3 tbsp.
- Using sesame oil gives good taste.
- Use one medium sized onion if you do not have small onion shallots.
- The dish thickens a bit after cooking.