Shrikhand is a creamy, smooth, mouth-watering, popular Indian sweet dish which is made by strained curd/yogurt which is very popular in Maharashtra and Gujarat.
Mango Shrikhand is a creamy, luxurious dessert made by combining mango pulp and plain shrikhand. It is also known as Amrakhand and Aam shrikhand. It is served as a dessert after a meal and it is also served as a side dish along with puri/chapati.
A spoonful of mango shrikhand is a complete divine, tempting dessert which is very smooth, creamy and it melts like a silk in your mouth with the crunchiness of the nuts used. You will experience this feeling❤
This is an ideal summer mango dessert recipe which helps to soothe the body temperature. Don’t miss out when mangoes are in season!! I got introduced to this dessert through my friends in Johannesburg.
Though any variety of mango which is sweet, juicy and ripe works good for this recipe, I highly recommend Alphonso mangoes for this dessert. Tinned mango pulp can be used but usually fresh mangoes add good taste and flavor to the dessert. So go for fresh, ripe, sweet mangoes.
The color of the shrikhand- either light yellow or dark yellow depends on the color of the mango pulp used. Wait for the mangoes to ripe.
Coming to the curd/yogurt, Iam going to explain the process of making in two variations. Both ways, the curd/yogurt should be hanged in muslin cloth or cheese cloth.
1. Homemade curd: when using homemade curd, make it thick. We are going to make hung curd by hanging the curd in muslin cloth for 7 hours ( overnight) to drain the excess water out. Keep it overnight in refrigerator or the curd will turn sour.The left is called as chakka. We are going to make shrikhand using this chakka.
2. Greek Yogurt: when going for yogurt outside, go for Greek Yogurt which is very thick. In this way, hanging the curd is limited to 1 to 2 hours. This is the easy process. We are going to make mango shrikhand today with Greek yogurt. I want to add something here. Greek Yogurt is very healthy!!
Once the hung curd is made, the entire process is very quick and simple. Refrigerating atleast for an hour before serving increases the taste though it can be served once prepared. A must try recipe🥭❤
1 cup= 200 ml.
- Mango Pulp- 1 cup + 2 tbsp
- Greek Yogurt- 2 cups
- Powdered sugar- 3 tbsp
- Cardamom powder- 1/4th tsp
- Saffron milk- 5 saffron strands in 1 tbsp of hot milk
- Chopped nuts- 2 tbsp ( topping; almonds, pistachios, cashews- any of your choice)
- Mango pieces- 2 tbsp ( topping; finely chopped to very small pieces)
Sugar can be powdered in a mixer jar. Soak 5 saffron strands in 2 tbsp of hot milk. Keep it aside.
- Make sure the curd/yogurt is thick and fresh.
- Fresh mangoes are highly recommended and it gives good taste and flavor. The color of the shrikand depends on the color of the pulp used.
- Make sure the mangoes are sweet and juicy.
- Tinned mango pulp can be used.
- Tastes much better when served chilled.
- This is a make ahead dessert which can be stored in refrigerator and used for few days.
- One-fourth cup( totally one and one-fourth cup) of mango pulp can be added extra if using Greek yogurt as it is very thick.
- Go through all the explanations carefully.