Masala dosa is one of the most popular breakfast recipe in South India served at home and in restaurants.
This is famous not only in South India or not only in India but throughout the World. I have seen many foreigners craving for dosas but especially masala dosa leads the show.
Masala dosa is a thin crispy crepe which is made with fermented batter made of rice, lentils and stuffed with boiled, spiced and seasoned potatoes along with cooked onions.
There are many ways of making masala dosa- mysore masala dosa, mumbai masala dosa, schezwan masala dosa etc.., Let us see two recipes today- masala dosa and mysore masala dosa.
I have updated the recipe for Red Chutney ( Mysore Dosa Chutney) as a separate recipe. Please have a look at that on how to make Red Chutney.
This masala dosa and mysore masala dosa tastes good when served with sambhar, coconut chutney or any kind of chutneys.
Preparation of masala for masala dosa:
- Dosa batter- For making 9 to 10 dosas
- Boiled potatoes- 2 big or 3 medium sized
- Onion- 1 big ( finely chopped)
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Chana dal- 1 tsp
- Ginger- 1 tsp ( grated or finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli- 2 ( finely chopped)
- Asafoedita powder- 1/4th tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4th tsp
- Curry leaves- 8 to 10 ( I used dried curry leaves. If you have fresh one’s, use them)
- Coriander leaves- 2 to 3 tbsp
- Salt- as needed.
Clean and boil the potatoes well in a pressure cooker or in a pan. Peel the skin and cool them down. Once it is cooled, mash it with hands.
Making masala dosa:
Making mysore masala dosa:
Prepare the Red Chutney for mysore masala dosa. I have shared the link above.
- Use sesame oil to make dosa.