Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting is one of my all-time favorite cakes. Most of us would love it!! This recipe gives a soft, buttery, moist, decadent chocolate flavored along with vanilla, velvet textured cake. Sounds tempting, yumm!!
I would say red velvet cake as the queen among the cakes. I prepared it for my birthday and this cake made my birthday special . The cream cheese frosting added inbetween the layers of cake and on top made it more rich and creamy.
Refer my page Cream Cheese Frosting to check the recipe for the icing. The quantity mentioned in the ingredients in the page is enough to layer an one kg. cake.
If you would ask me to describe red velvet cake, I would say it is a vanilla cake with mild cocoa flavor, tangy taste from buttermilk & vinegar and colored red. Either beetroot or food coloring can be used to color it red. In this recipe, I have used red food coloring.
The day I baked, I had a big challenge regarding the lights as it was dark the whole day. As the kitchen light is yellow, I have modified it the level best to explain the recipe clear.
The recipe I have shared makes 1 kg. cake. I have made it as two 500 gms. cake. In one 500 gms. cake, I added food coloring and in another 500 gms. cake, I used food coloring gel to check the difference in color. Food coloring gel gave a good bright red color.
I used electric hand beater to beat one 500 gms. cake and I used the normal mixer jar to prepare the next 500 gms. cake. In both the case, the cake turned out fluffy, moist. So if you do not have an electric hand beater or kitchenaid, even a regular mixer jar in your home can make these cakes.
All the ingredients used in this recipe should be in normal room temperature. The key is to beat the butter till it turns light and fluffy. Otherwise the cake will turn dense. These are the key points to note. Otherwise, it is the regular process throughout.
The icing for the cake was done by my daughter, Adina. You can make it more professionally. We have used simple ideas for icing.
Definitely this is a mouth-watering recipe❤
I have shared the quantity for both 500 gms. cake and 1 kg. cake. You can either make it as two 500 kg. cake or as one 1 kg. cake.
FOR 500 GMS. CAKE:
- All-purpose flour- 155 gms.
- Sugar- 150 gms.
- Unsalted Butter- 55 gms. ( room temperature)
- Vegetable oil- 100 gms.
- Buttermilk- 120 ml.
- Egg- 1
- Vinegar- 1/2 tsp
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- 1 tbsp
- Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder- 1/4th tsp
- Salt- 1/4th tsp
- Red food coloring/ food gel- 1 tbsp or as needed
- Vanilla essence- 1 tsp.
FOR 1KG. CAKE:
- All-purpose flour- 310 gms.
- Sugar- 300 gms.
- Unsalted Butter- 110 gms. ( room temperature)
- Vegetable oil- 200 gms.
- Buttermilk- 240 ml.
- Eggs- 2
- Vinegar- 1 tsp
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- 2 tbsp
- Baking soda- 1 tsp
- Baking powder- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Red food coloring/ food gel- 2 tbsp or as needed
- Vanilla essence- 2 tsp.
- Cream cheese frosting– Refer my recipe in the page and the ingredients mentioned there is sufficient to do icing on the cake.
As I mentioned above, I made two 500 gm. cakes. You can also make as one 1 kg. cake and slice it into two and layer with icing.
All the ingredients used in this recipe should be in room temperature.
- The whole cake batter can be prepared in a mixer jar starting with butter if you do not have electric hand beater.
- Butter should be beaten to light and fluffy.
- Beat one egg at a time.
- All the ingredients should be in room temperature.
- Refrigerate the cake for 2 hours to set. Then you can place it out for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing. The temperature of the room should not be hot. Otherwise cream cheese will start to melt.
- Baking time varies from oven to oven. Toothpick coming out clean when inserted in the center makes clear that the cake is cooked completely.
- Using red food colouring gel gives best results. Do not place the batter to bake in oven until it is red in colour.