Momos are very popular street food across the Indian subcontinent and the Himalayan regions South East Asian border though it is common everywhere now.
These momos are as cute as the name sounds and it is very tasty too!! They can be made in many ways and today let us see the steaming process. It is very easy and simple to make at home.
Stuffed with grated cabbage, carrot, spring onion, capsicum, filled in the little round package which is spiced with garlic, pepper and steamed finally to sneeny, transparent dumplings is the best way to explain these momos!!
Coming to this recipe, I have used red cabbage instead of green one’s. The red one’s are healthier and their leaves are little thicker than the green one’s. It takes little more minute to get cooked when compared to the green one’s.
Momos are made normally in steamer but it can be made in idli cooker or idli pot too if you don’t have one. Let us see how to steam it that way!!
Momos are cooked completely once you see a transparent, sheeny look on top and they are not sticky when you touch. Do not over cook them as it turns hard and sticky then.
Serve the momos immediately when it is hot with a spicy chutney or spicy sauce by the side❤
To make the outer covering:
- All-purpose flour or maida- 2 cups
- Oil- 6 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
To make the stuffing:
- Carrot- 3/4th cup ( grated)
- Cabbage- 1 and a half cup ( grated)
- Green capsicum- 1/2 cup ( finely chopped)
- Spring Onion White- 2 tbsp ( thinly sliced)
- Spring Onion Green- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Garlic – 3 cloves ( finely chopped)
- Pepper- 1/2 tsp
- Soya Sauce- 1 tbsp
- Salt- as needed.
Kneading the dough is the most important process. The dough should be kneaded proper for 5 minutes to smooth. It should be prepared first before making the stuffing as the resting time for the dough is a must.
- Momos are good when served hot.
- Any vegetables of your choice can be used.
- This can be prepared in steamer too.
- If using steamer, do not place the momos by touching each other.
- If you are allergic to capsicum, you can use green chillies and make the stuffing. I made separately like this for my husband.