Poriyal is the tamil word for a fried or sauteed vegetable dish. The word ‘poriyal’ is called as ‘palya’ in Kannada and ‘vepudu’ in Telugu. It is normally made by shallow frying shredded or diced vegetables along with spices.
With coconut giving a nice flavor to the dish, this mildly spiced keerai poriyal is liked by everyone in my family. Infact if I cook spinach/keerai this way, then there is a high demand for it. This is a perfect side dish recipe!!
One more to add, this side dish takes very less time to cook with less effort. It is mostly ready in less than 20 minutes.
I have shown the variety of spinach I used in the picture below. You can make this recipe using any variety of spinach. Just make sure to clean it well before starting to cook. Remove the roots and use the stem portion along with leaves if the stem is edible.
Whenever I make this at home, I like eating the side dish more than the main dish😊❤
- Spinach/ keerai- 2 bunches
- Onion- 1 small ( finely chopped)
- Garlic cloves- 3 ( finely chopped or slit thin lengthwise)
- Red chilli- 2
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Split urad dal- 3/4th tsp
- Cumin seeds- 3/4th tsp
- Asafoedita powder- 1/4th tsp
- Grated coconut- 3 to 4 tbsp
- Salt- as needed.
- Do not cover with a lid and cook the spinach/ keerai as it will change the color.